The National Railway Historical Society
(NRHS) has announced nine recipients of its annual Heritage Grants
Program. The 2019 heritage grant awards total $48,000. The recipients
are not for profit organizations, including historical societies,
museums, and a NRHS Chapter.
This year’s grants were awarded to
the following recipients:
$8,000 to the Oregon Rail Heritage
Foundation in Portland, Oregon towards the refurbishment and
installation at its Rail Heritage Center of a 102’ continuous
turntable, the last remaining historic element of the former Southern
Pacific Brooklyn roundhouse. It will be one of only a handful of
powered operating turntables accessible to the public in the West.
$8,000 to the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS in Roanoke, VA to replace window gaskets and related parts of former
Norfolk & Western Railway “Jim Crow” coach #512, built in
1949 by Pullman Standard Company, that was originally part of the
consist of the railroad’s classic streamliner named the Powhatan
$3,500 to the North Carolina Railway
Museum (NCRM) in New Hall, NC towards the rehabilitation of the
Goldston Depot, a small town freight depot constructed around 1884 by
the Cape Fear & Yadkin Railway, and later operated by the
Southern Railway. The Depot has been relocated to the grounds of the
NCRM and will be available for Museum visitors to view the original
interior and a display of historic artifacts stored by the Museum.
$8,000 to the Pacific Railroad
Preservation Society in Portland, Oregon for work relating to the
15 year FRA boiler inspection and rebuild of former Seattle, Portland
& Spokane steam locomotive #700, originally built by Baldwin
Locomotive Works in 1938. The locomotive is the railroad’s last
surviving Northern E-1 class. The NRHS grant is specifically for the
rebuild of two air pumps used in the locomotive braking system.
$2,000 to the New England Steam
Corporation in Winterport ME toward the replacement of the tender
cistern and coal bunker of Maine Central passenger steam locomotive
Pacific class #470, built by the American Locomotive Company in 1924.
The locomotive was the last steam locomotive to operate on the Maine
Central. The locomotive tender restoration is part of the overall
project to restore #470 to operating condition.
$5,000 to the Lake Superior Railroad
Museum in Duluth, MN for the cosmetic restoration of Erie Mining
Company S-12 switcher No. 403 (later renumbered 7243) the last diesel
to leave the Baldwin Locomotive Works factory in Eddystone, PA in
1956 when the factory closed. The locomotive worked at the Erie
Mining plant in Hoyt Lakes, MN from 1956 to 1992 when it was donated
to the Museum.
$8,000 to the Nashville Steam
Preservation Society in Nashville TN towards the rebuild of the
Worthington SA Hot Water Pump (the Pump), a part of the feedwater
system of Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis steam locomotive No
576, a 4-8-4 J-3 class engine built by the American Locomotive
Company in 1942. The restoration of the Pump is part of the
restoration of the locomotive to operating condition.
$2,500 to the Nevada County Narrow
Gauge Railroad Museum in Nevada City, CA to restore gondola car
#233, built in 1917 and used by the Southern Pacific narrow gauge
line (“SP narrow gauge”) until 1955. It is the only remaining SP
narrow gauge gondola car that has all mechanical parts preserved and
can be fully restored.
$3,000 to the Placerville &
Sacramento Valley Railroad in Folsom, CA for brake equipment
parts for Southern Pacific “suburban” coach # 2110 built by the
Pullman Company in 1924 and used in regular commuter service between
San Francisco and San Jose, CA. It is a passenger car design that
dominated northern California commuter trains for decades. The NRHS
grant will enable the car to return to operating condition after